What a first experience, both for the momma and for me.  On a Wednesday in June the dad texted me at 3:38 a.m. to tell me the momma’s water had broken.  They headed to the hospital shortly after.  At about 6:30 a.m. the momma texted to say she was dilated 3 centimeters and her contractions had slowed down.  During the day, the doctors decided to augment the labor with an oxytocin drip.  Momma kept me posted throughout the day about what was happening.  She walked the halls to keep the contractions going and felt very positive about the progress.  At around noon, no further dilation had occurred so they started augmentation with oxytocin.

At 2:58 p.m., dad texted me to say the contractions were pretty strong and regular.  He asked if I could come by to offer morale and tips.  I arrived to “assessment and inductions” at 3:30 p.m. to find this strong momma breathing through her contractions very regularly.  She was doing very well through the contractions although they were getting quite strong. 

At 4:20 p.m. they continued to bump up the oxytocin and the contractions were getting stronger.  We used the birth ball with the momma rocking through the contractions, and the rebozo being used to perform the double hip squeeze for comfort.  Momma and dad tried to rest in between and dad had a bit of sleep 

Around 6 p.m., this amazing momma described how she was going with the contractions instead of resisting them.  She looked so calm. She did feel a bit nauseous at one point sowe used peppermint oil to help with that.  It worked!

At 7:45 p.m. the doctor checked the momma and she was dilated to 5 centimeters.  She was moved to a labor and delivery suite where it was far more comfortable for mom and dad.  She continued to use the ball for comfort, as well as the rebozo on the hips and sometimes as something to pull on or squeeze. 

By 12:15 a.m. the next day, this momma was handling the contractions like a ROCK STAR and by 12:30 a.m. she was at 10 centimeters!  We were all excited and dad and I “high fived.”  

At 1:15 a.m. the doc came in to check on things.  She “tickled” the baby’s head to make sure his heart rate didn’t dip like it had earlier and this seemed to help.  They decreased the oxytocin to give the momma a break between contractions.  For each subsequent contraction, this momma pushed and pushed to move baby further down the birth canal. She pushed using the squat bar, pushed standing up and pushed with her legs held by the nurse and by me.  

At 2:30 a.m. the doc confirmed that although the momma had pushed and pushed so well,baby was in a transverse position (sideways) and this was a problem to deliver baby vaginally.  

After some discussion and explanation of possibilities, it was decided that baby would be delivered by caesarian section.  AT 3:58 a.m. baby M was born!  He was 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 23 inches long!  He was so handsome and alert right after he was born. I could hardly take my tired eyes off him.  

I gave my best wishes and headed home for an hour and half of sleep because I had to get up to go to my day job (had a couple of important meetings).  I was so pumped withadrenalin that I didn’t notice how tired I was until I got home from work that night.  What an absolutely amazing experience!  

One thing I will change the next time is better care for my own back.  Better body mechanics will be on my check list!  As well, I have to make sure I have more to eat because I have to keep up my strength too.  I am really glad I took the rebozo class with Sonya Duffy (check her out on facebook!) because it was a very useful tool during labor and offered the momma much comfort.  

Can’t wait for the next birth in August as I get the honor of being the doula for my son and his girlfriend and my new baby grandson who will make his journey earthside! I LOVE THIS JOB!!!

What a First Experience!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *